Sunday, May 17, 2009

Day 1 - London

We arrived in London on Thursday morning - 7:30am London time, 1:30am Houston time (12:30 Utah). So as all of London was waking up, we were ready for bed. We got NO sleep on the plane so we were determined to stay up until 6 or 7 pm to adjust to the time and avoid as much jet lag as possible. I've probably pulled only one real all-nighter during my college career (and it was my freshman year) so this is not something I'm used to. My mom is more adjusted to all-nighters, especially when she plans big things like weddings or european trips. We checked into our hotel, got settled, ate some lunch, and headed out for some sightseeing.


On the Metro

We took a double decker bus tour of London - we were supposed to see all of the major sights but when your eyes are closed, you tend to miss a few.
We stopped off at St. Paul's Cathedral. It was a pretty incredible place. We had a tour guide that was telling us a bit about the history. It's named after Paul, the early Christain disciple and missionary. The altar and pulpit in the middle are beneath the huge, decorative dome. Sir Christopher Wren conceived of this idea as an observatory linking heaven and earth. My mom remembers all of this - I was leaning against the back wall and fell asleep standing up. I caught myself before I fell over - but it happened a couple of times!











By the time we made our way to the dome, we needed a power nap. We sat down in the chairs that were set up. I laid my head in my mom's lap and she laid her head on my back and we slept for 30 minutes or so. After we woke up, we looked around a bit more and then hopped back on the busses to the hotel. Then we crashed. I slept for about 12 hours. Mom woke up around 3 but then went back to sleep after a little bit.

2 comments:

  1. Okay Kristy, I knew you were going abroad for a month and was a little jealous, but I didn't know you were leaving your husbands behind and just going with your daughter. HOW FUN! I hope you don't mind that I travel along side you via your cute blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is brilliant! I'm British and in the next 15 years want to cover every inch of Europe, before tackling the USA. I only wish my mother was bearable enough to travel with for a month!

    Enjoy yourselves, what you're doing is great:)

    ReplyDelete